5 Fun Dental Facts You Should Know
As the human teeth were intended to last a lifetime, proper dental care is essential to keep them in their best condition. Hollywood actress Julia Roberts may be the envy of many for her megawatt smile, but how far should a person really go to achieve a healthy dental condition?
Here are some interesting trivia about your pearly whites:
- Trusted dentists from Clarkson recommend people to keep their toothbrushes at least six feet away from the toilet. This is to prevent many airborne particles caused by flushing to the brushes.
- While tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body, experts don’t recommend using teeth to open bottles.
- The average person only spends about 48 seconds per day brushing their teeth. The recommended length for brushing, however, is at least 2 or 3 minutes.
- During their lifetime, humans will have two sets of teeth. The first set known as the “baby teeth” start to lose at age six or seven. When you reach the age of 21, you already own your permanent set of teeth. Sharks, on the other hand, have around 40 sets of teeth.
- Before modern toothpaste was invented a few hundred years ago, humans clean their teeth using ground chalk or charcoal, lemon juice, ashes, and honey-tobacco mixtures.
- An average human produces around 100,000 gallons of saliva in an entire lifetime. As people grow older, their salivary secretions decrease. This makes them more vulnerable to dental problems.
Sources: http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=D&iid=184&aid=3806 http://www.currambinedentist.com.au